Privacy Barrier - Knowledgebase Question

Atlanta, Ge
Question by drewporterf
I have the need to create a significant privacy barrier to shield from prying neighbor eyes - but I need to do so in my front yard along our property line. That side of the yard is densely shaded under a large canopy of hardwoods (over 100 ft. tall each). I need some advice on the best plant barrier to build - around 10-15 feet tall & dense in order to accomodate the need. Any ideas?

0

You might consider planting Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia); an evergreen; 7' - 15' tall x 7' - 15' wide. Other choices include Illicium floridanum (Florida Anise), a medium shrub up to 10 feet tall but can be pruned for a smaller height. Aromatic foliage, red blooms and attractive star shaped seed pods. Handsome, glossy leaves that resemble rhododendron. Illicium parviflorum (Anise Tree), large shrub or small tree up to 20 feet tall but can be pruned to maintain smaller height. Aromatic foliage, white blooms and attractive star shaped seed pods. Handsome, glossy leaves that resemble rhododendron. Rhododendron catawbiense, a large shrub up to 10 feet. Pinkish/purple blooms in late spring, many cultivars available, including a white one (?Album?). Large handsome leaves. Shade tolerant but needs some sun to bloom best.

Leucothoe axillaris, a medium shrub up to 6 feet but slow growing. Foliage is glossy and emerges reddish in the spring and bronzes in the fall. Tolerates moist, shady conditions like streambanks but is also at home in the garden. White flowers in late spring, no berries.

Agarista populifolia, related to but larger than Leucothoe axillaries, is fast growing up to 10-12 feet eventually. Tolerates shade and accepts heavy pruning, even when used as a hedge. White flowers in late spring, no berries. Good candidate for shady evergreen screen when a tree is too much.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"