Javelina and Quail eat my plants - Knowledgebase Question

Cave Creek, Ar
Question by wenmar
I live in Cave Creek, AZ and have a problem with Javelina and Quail eating my freshly planted annuals/flowers and plants. I know what they like, can you tell me plants and flowers that they will stay away from?

0

I wish there were a list of plants Javelina ignore but these pesky critters will root around and feed on nearly anything you can imagine. Arizona State University has listed the following plants as the least attractive to Javelina:
Allysum, basil, butterfly bush, carnations, chili peppers, chrysanthemums, cosmos, cucumbers, daffodils, dahlias, daylilies, deerbrush, Easter lily, eggplant, geraniums, gladiolas, globe amaranth, hens and chicks, hibiscus, ice plant, iris, larkspur, marigolds, pansies, peonies, petunias, portulaca, rosemary, sage, santolina, snapdragons, sweet williams and zinnias. As for the quail, about the only way to discourage them is to place a protective barrier around your freshly planted annuals and perennials until the ground crusts over. The quail are simply using the freshly turned earth as an opportunity to scratch around looking for seeds or insects. good luck with your garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"