Copper wires - Knowledgebase Question

Wisconsin Rapids, Wi
Question by chasvern
I would like to know more about copper wires in tomato stems to prevent blight.

0

There is a rumor going around that the copper wire inserted into the stem of a tomato plant will somehow magically make them resistant to blight. However, those who have experimented with the copper wire found no truth to the rumor. The best way for you to avoid blight diseases is to plant disease-resistant tomato plants or seeds; work lots of compost into the planting bed before planting; be sure to rotate your crops so you're not planting tomatoes in the same garden spot each year; mulch over the soil after planting to keep water from splashing from the soil onto the leaves of the plants, and remove the lower leaves if you see any signs of yellowing. You can start your cool season vegetable seeds indoors in late February for transplanting outdoors 6-8 weeks later. Warm weather crops such as tomatoes and peppers can be started indoors in late March or early April for transplanting outdoors in June. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"