residue on plant - Knowledgebase Question

Englewood, Oh
Question by ptonge26
I have a majesty palm. There appears to be a brown sap on leaves and stem of plant what is the residue and should i be concerned? I have the plant indoors and water it once a week. I also use plant spikes every three months. please advise.

0

I'm inclined to think your majesty palm has a population of scale insects. These look like bumps on the leaves and stems and when the pests attach themselves and begin to feed, they exude a sticky substance called honeydew. This can look very much like a drop of sap. Try peeling the bumps or sap off with your thumbnail. There will be a circle of damage directly beneath the sap but you'll be removing the insect and preventing it from reproducing and causing additional damage to your plant. Best wishes with your majesty palm!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"