care of Frost Peach tree - Knowledgebase Question

port orchard, Wa
Question by janegrace44
have had for 4 yrs..has born tiny fruit 2 times. on southwest side of house.appears to have some dead limbs. should I prune?...what is best care

0

Your frost peach tree needs at least 6 hours of direct sunshine each day during the growing season in order to perform well. The tiny fruit is typical of a young tree - they produce only a few fruits at 4 years of age but reach peak productivity at 8 to 12 years. Peaches need clear, hot weather during their growing season and require well-drained soil as well as a regular fertilizing program. They also require heavier pruning than any other fruit trees to maintain size and encourage new growth. You can prune away the dead limbs now and then prune lightly all over to encourage healthy new growth. Your frost peach is self fertile so you wont' need a second tree for a good crop. However, if there's cold weather while your tree is in bloom, it may affect fruit set. I'd prune now and then feed in the spring when new growth develops. As your tree matures it should set a heavy crop. Best wishes with your peach tree.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"