How plant Bougainvilla ? - Knowledgebase Question

chula vista, Ca
Question by janegerber
We planted this plant last spring and all plants died. Would ice plant suck the water from the soil. We want this plant to climb our north fence.

0

The roots of young bougainvillea plants are brittle and tender which can make transplanting stressful to the plant. The best approach is to dig a hole just slightly larger than the nursery container then gently slide the plant out of the container and set it in the planting hole. The bougainvillea should be at the same soil level as it was growing in the container. Once planted, backfill around the sides of the rootmass with the soil you took out of the hole and then water everything well to help settle the soil. You'll want to water deeply twice a week for the first couple of weeks after planting, to encourage the roots to settle in and establish themselves. You can then reduce the frequency of watering. Bougainvillea and iceplant should make good companions - they can both get along with minimal water once they are established. Bougainvilleas need at least 5 hours of direct sunshine each day in order to perform well. I'd try planting again, following the above guidelines. I think your plants will establish and grow well for you if you plant in the late winter or early spring. Good luck with your bougainvilleas!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"