When to prune plants after freeze damage? - Knowledgebase Question

Valkaria, Fl
Question by jvioli
I just saw Tom MacCubbin, the garden expert on Channel 13 Local News, and he said its time to start pruning plants with freeze damage. I thought we were supposed to wait till chance of frost was past. Shouldn't we wait till after Feb. Last year we had below freezing temps. for day at a time in Feb. I live in central Florida.

0

You're absolutely right! It is always best to wait until after your last average frost date to prune frost-damaged plants. I often wait until new growth begins in the spring - or at least until I see new leaf buds beginning to plump up before I prune. This way I'm assured of removing all the dead stems from the plant rather than just what I suspect might be dead. I vote with you - wait until after the third week of February to do your pruning.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"