Pruning, - Knowledgebase Question

tucson, Ar
Question by earthlingltd
How far back can I prune my freeze damaged Hibiscus? These are big plants in huge ceramic pots. One is partially covered by a porch and the other is under a canopy of privet trees. Nights are near 40? and we might get another night or 2 near 30?
Thanks again

Z

0

I'd wait until after the third week of February to do any pruning. There's still a chance that more frosty weather will arrive between now and then. By mid- or late-February you should begin to see green leaf buds beginning to swell on the stems. It will be easy to see which plant parts are still alive and which are dead. At that time you can prune back any of the stems that are not showing any signs of life. Luckily, hibiscus usually rebounds after a frost so even if you need to remove half of the growth on your plant, it should recover nicely this spring and summer. Best wishes with your hibiscus!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"