Pampas Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Charleston, So
Question by alwass
I have just cut down my pampas grass clumps and I found that the centers of some of the clumps are wet and decayed. I recently moved here and they were apparently not cut down for the last few years. Should I do anything special, like cleaning them out, or just leave them as they are? Also, how low can they be cut down and can they be cut on the sides to make the

0

It can be normal for the center of the pampas grass clumb to die out. Excessive moisture can certainly hurry this process along, but what you describe it reasonably normal. You can dig the clump and divide it into smaller plants or you can simply leave it alone - the new growth around the perimeter of the clump will hide the bare center. Pampas grass can be cut down to nearly ground level without harm. You can trim the sides to make the clump smaller but when growth begins in the spring, it will come mainly from the sides or outer portions of the clump which will increase the size of the clump. If you're concerned about the ultimate size of the plant, digging and dividing, and disposing of the dead center will solve both problems. Good luck with your pampas grass.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"