Almond Trees in Southwest Littleton? - Knowledgebase Question

Littleton, Co
Question by cdalbora
I am considering buying an almond tree through Stark Bros online-they have assured me that it will grow in zone 5, but the state Master Gardener and I are still unsure. Other places only sell these in zones 7-9. It is believed that it might grow here but not produce any almonds? Do you have any knowledge of Almond trees being grown in the metro area or any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

0

I've check with Colorado State University Cooperative Extension and consulted Sunset Western Garden Book. Neither were very optimistic about actually getting a crop of almonds from a tree in your gardening region. Yes, the trees will grow and yes, they will flower, but if they do produce almonds, the nuts will be of poor quality. I probably ran across the same information as the Master Gardener you talked with since he/she is associated with Colorado State University. Sunset Western Garden Book does list 'Hall's' as a cultivar that will grow and produce in your region but notes the almonds are small and bitter. I think if you want an almond tree in your landscape, you should consider it an ornamental rather than a nut producing tree. Wish I could be more positive!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"