Fig Tee - Knowledgebase Question

Canyon Lake, Te
Question by bdrain82
We live at Canyon Lake Tx, I'd like to get a cutting from my dads very established fig tree in New Braunfels. When and how is the best way? Also when should he prue his tree, he has always done it Feb. 2, can I use one of his cuttings? Do I root it in water and then plant? One of the branches actually sits on the ground and has roots of its own, should I try to cut it and dig that part up? THX

0

The easiest way to propagate your dad's fig tree is to sever the rooted branch between the roots and the parent fig tree and pot it up to transport it to your home. Plant it in your landscape and water it well. It should root right away and you'll have a clone of your dad's tree. You can try to root the cuttings but they'll take longer to establish than the branch that has already rooted on its own. If you decide to root the prunings, try both setting them in water and planting them directly in the ground. Both will root (at least in my experience) and while you won't have 100 percent success, you should end up with several new plants from the cuttings. Winter, while the tree is dormant, is the best time to prune a fig tree. February 2 sounds like a good target date. Best wishes with your new fig trees!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"