European Fan Palm - Knowledgebase Question

Plano, Te
Question by janetkbarnes
I have white spots on 2 young palms planted last spring. How can I get rid of it and is it a fungus, disease or insects? Spots appeared in January.

0

It's difficult to tell just what's going on with your palm without actually inspecting the fronds. It's possible the white spots are sunscald. If so, the tissue in the center of the spot will be dead, surrounded by yellow and/or brown tissue. Or, the spots may be mealybug insects. Mealybugs look like small, flat oval white spots on the leaves. They are also fuzzy or powdery looking. Using a magnifying glass to get up close and personal can help either confirm or eliminate the presence of mealybugs. Scale insects can also affect palm leaves. These are disk shaped and somewhat flattened in appearance. Fungal diseases can also affect palms but they generally show up in patches rather than spots. With this said, you can try controlling insect pests with insecticidal soap sprays or you can try dabbing individual insect pests with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. This will kill them within minutes and you can peel them off your plant. Hope this information is helpful!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"