Tunnels in Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

ossining, NY
Question by schultz875
I have many tunnels that a burrowing rodent has made in my lawn. I see holes approx. to size of quarter in various spots on the surface. I never see the rodents that are creating the tunnels. The tunnels are raised up from the lawn as much as several inches. For your info, I have my own water well and am concerned with the effect of any chemicals on my drinking water supply.

0

It sounds like you have moles at work. Moles are active year round, so assuming you really do have moles rather than voles or some other little critter, and assuming the problems are serious enough to warrant control, you might want to consider using a trap. In my experience, this is the only truly effective means of control. There are very detailed instructions on trapping moles at
http://muextension.missouri.ed...

should you decide to go that route. If you would prefer to try repellants instead, some gardeners report success with the castor-oil based commercial products.