prunig natchez blackberry - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by kaygfox
i have a natchez blackberry that i planted last spring and it has grown great. it has many long spindly( 1/4 inch dia ) branches (4 -8 feet) that i have wrap along a wire. should i prune these back or leave them??

thanks

0

Blackberries produce flowers and fruit on the new growth of the season. The plants are typically pruned back during the winter months, prior to their new spurt of growth. I like to prune back the vines right after I've harvested the fruit, leaving the vines that have not produced fruit alone. Then during the winter months I thin the vines out, pruning back to ground level about half of the vines on the plant. This results in lots of room for new growth - and lots of flowers and fruit the following summer. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"