African Violets - Knowledgebase Question

Name: taylor holder
midland, Te
Question by taylorholder
When I bought my Africa violet at the H.D the leaves were brown and ugly and all the Blooms had fallen off can you help me!

0

There is a fungal disease called botrytis that causes brown spots on the leaves of African violets. High humidity, inadequate light levels, and poor air circulation contribute to the development of the disease. The best way to control it is to improve growing conditions and avoid overhead watering. You can snip off the affected leaves, along with the bare flower stems.

African violets, botanical name Saintpaulia ionantha, are one of the most popular houseplants around. They like temperatures between 60 and 70 degrees F and high humidity. Place the pot on a saucer filled with gravel; keeping water in the saucer will increase the humidity around the plant. (Just be sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the pot.)

African violets prefer an acidic soil, and there are special potting soils made just for them. When you water, try not to put water directly on the crown of the plant or on the leaves. Pull off any yellowing leaves, and fertilize when the plant is actively growing. African violets bloom best when pot bound or crowded. Bright, indirect light encourages the most blooms.

Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"