Sago Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Fleming Island, Fl
Question by ymotekew
New fronds on the sago plant did not sprout during the growing season. There are currently a number of small protusions from the dome of the plant that never matured. Request advice on how to get rid of dormant protusions and allow for new growth this season. Currently the fronds on all three plants have areas of browing.

0

I think your sago is just about to produce a flower. Both male and female sagos send up a golden cone, shaped a little like a pine cone. It is surrounded by small brown protrusions which look like fronds that failed to mature. I'd just leave the sago alone and see what develops this spring and summer. I suspect you'll see a flower (female) or a cone (male). Browning areas on the leaves can indicate sunscald or insect damage but it's difficult to tell which from your description. The good news is that you'll be able to eventually cut off the damaged fronds. Good luck with your sago~

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"