Which plants should I plant? - Knowledgebase Question

DENVER, Co
Question by milehimike05
I was wondering what types of plants (perennials) I could plant in my front yard, it gets all of the sun from early afternoon until sunset and get very hot. Right now on one side of the stairway we have Russian Sage planted but I wanted something different on the othe side if the stairway and like I said it gets full afternoon to evening sun and hot.

0

You have lots of choices! One of my favorites is Little Trudy Catmint (Nepeta x Little Trudy), a low spreading and long blooming perennial. It is well branched and stems of rippled, soft gray foliage hug the ground for an 18? to 24? wide mound when this plant matures. Profuse lavender flower stalks 8? to 12? tall cover the plant from early to late summer. It's deer resistant!

Other suggestions include Prairie Lode sundrops (Calylophus serrulatus ?Prairie Lode?). This is a vigorous native prairie species that blooms for months on end with bright and cheerful yellow blossoms. It tolerates a wide range of situations and thrives in hot, dry conditions. This perennial grows 6-8? tall and 12-15? wide. It blooms from May to September, grows in full sun to part shade, and is hardy in USDA zones 3-9 (up to 9000?).

For a different collor, try Red feathers (Echium amoenum). This perennial has a basal tuft of dark green, linear leaves which produce spikes of feathery, russet-red flowers in spring, re-blooming again in summer if deadheaded. Red Feathers grows 10-16? tall and 6-8? wide in full sun or part shade with moderate to xeric soil conditions. It is hardy in USDA zones 3-9 (up to 9000?).

Red yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora) has arching, evergreen grass-like leaves with curly white filaments. Tall spikes of brilliant rose-pink, yellow-throated tubular blossoms curve skyward. Red yucca is virtually maintenance-free and xeric once established. Red yucca will get to be 3-4? tall and 3-4?wide, and blooms from June to autumn. It prefers full sun, and is hardy in USDA zones 5-10 (up to 5800?).

Regal torchlily (Kniphofia caulescens) has blue-green rosettes of foliage. By late summer crimson, golden, and ivory torches develop that create a focal point. Regal torchlily grows to 40? tall and 24-30? wide, blooming from late July to September. It prefers full sun or part shade in loamy soils. Hardy in USDA zones 4b-9 (up to 7000?).

A final suggestion is Redleaf rose (Rosa glauca, R. rubrifolia). This is a medium to large shrub rose with single blossoms ranging from a pleasing pastel pink to white. It?s also grown for the persistent red hips, and its dark purple foliage color. Redleaf rose grows 6-8? tall and 4-6? wide, blooming in May and June. It prefers full sun to part shade, and is hardy in USDA zones 3-9 (up to 9000?).

Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your landscape.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"