Learning red clay planting veggies - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Barbi Thiessen
Newton, No
Question by racenbug
This Yankee frm NH been here 19 yrs, tried veggie garden, ok 1st 2 yrs , last 3 yrs little or miniscule results. Have finally sent samples to Raleigh 4 help fixing clay.Am diabetic, need 2 grow my veggies 2 b sure what am eating?! Help plse?

0

You made a good first step in having your soil tested. The results will indicate what your soil might be lacking and how to improve it. All soils can be improved by the addition of organic matter. I just remove all vegetation from the area and spread 3-4 inches of compost over the top, digging it in to a depth of about 8 inches. Compost will loosen the soil, help it drain well and provide nutrients to the roots of your plants. NC University has a detailed publication on veggie gardening, including optimal planting dates which you might find helpful. You can download a copy from the following website to use as a reference. Here's the address: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/...

Hope you find the information helpful and this will be the year you grow the best garden ever! Have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"