What to Plant Now - Knowledgebase Question

Belle Rose, Lo
Question by glarvadain
I live in Southeast Louisiana. It is an unseasonably cold February. I have four years experience in gardening and loving it. What type plants and vegetables should I plant now? Also, I purchased two citrus trees (Naval orange and satsuma)from Home Depot in 2007. Neither has borne any fruit yet. Any reason why?

0

I'd wait another 2-3 weeks before planting anything. While you can plant cool season annuals now (pansies, snapdragons, stock, etc.), the weather may warm up quickly and these plants can suffer in the heat. So, if you wait 2-3 weeks and plant your warm season annuals as usual, they will perform well for you. You didn't mention whether or not your citrus trees are flowering. If not, they may be too young or not getting adequate sunshine. If they are flowering but not setting fruit, the flowers may not be getting pollinated. You can plant lots of flowering plants to encourage bees to visit your garden and help pollinate the flowers. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"