My backyard bermuda lawn has had brown areas that increase in size every season. - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by jackieideson
The yard grew beautiful grass in the spring but once the temps hit 90 and above these areas would just turn brown and wouldstay brown all summer. They've gotten larger and now it's about 1/3 of the yard. What can I do? If I need the soil checked where to I get it done?

0

Brown areas in bermuda can be caused by many things including insects, diseases and even die out due to soil compaction. I'd be inclined to take a sample of the affected turf to your local cooperative extension office. Helpful staff can inspect the turf under a microscope to rule out (or confirm) specific problems. You can also have your soil tested through the extension office so ask for a soil sample kit while you're there. It may be that you'll need to aerate your lawn to help the soil drain well and to overseed with bermuda in March. Sometimes all you need to do is rake out the dead areas and overseed to help your lawn regain its normally green appearance. Take a sample to U of A Cooperative Extension, 4341 East Broadway Road, Phoenix, AZ 85040-8807 phone: (602) 827-8200. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"