fungi - Knowledgebase Question

San Francisco, Ca
Question by emugar
Each winter I get different types of fungi popping up in the shady parts of the garden, especially mushrooms and slime mold. Should I dig them out and dispose of them or just let them die back as the sun begins to reach them.

0

The mushrooms and slime mold are growing because your soil contains some food, remains wet, and the area is shady. The most common food is decaying organic debris (mulch, old roots, etc.). Compacted soil remains wet for extended periods of time which is perfect for mold spore growth. I'd rake to remove the current crop of mold and mushrooms and to remove the spores from the area. Then I'd cultivate the area and amend it with organic matter to help aerate the soil and encourage good drainage. I hope these efforts help eliminate the problem for you.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"