TOMATO PLANTS - Knowledgebase Question

LITTLEFIELD, Te
Question by sandij1948
WHY ARE MY TOMATO PLANTS NOT PRODUCING THE SIZE FRUIT THAT IN NOTED ON THE TAG. MINE ARE USUALLY SMALLER. I WATER EVERY OTHER DAY IF NOT TOO HOT OF WEATHER,BUT EVERYDAY DURING THE REALLY HOT DAYS

0

If the fruits are not growing to the right size, your plants are stressed. Sounds like you're watering as necessary but I wonder if the soil has been amended well enough for the roots to grow deeply? If not, try amending the planting bed with compost or other organic matter. Spread 3-4 inches over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. After planting your tomato plants, cover over the top of the soil between the plants with an additional 2-3 inches of compost. This mulch will help regulate soil temperatures, suppress weeds and slow evaporation. The combination of amending the soil and mulching over the top should help your tomato plants be stress-free and promote better fruit set and development. Best wishes with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"