Moving from the northeast to the southeast - Knowledgebase Question

New York, Ne
Question by ecominded122
I'm about to make a major move from New York City where I've lived for years and know most of the plants that do well here, but I'm not sure which of the ones I've grown up here will do well in Florida.For instance will dahlias do well there? I know they prefer cool weather and the hot summers may kill them off. What about bulbs like tulips and daffodils? Is it too warm to grow them there?

0

Dahlias won't do well in Florida and most bulbs which require a cool winter dormancy won't do well either so you're in for a real education when you begin gardening in Florida. On the plus side, lots of perennials, shrubs and trees thrive in Florida that you could not grow in New York. The University of Florida has a publication I think you'll find helpful. It lists the planting dates for north, central and south Florida along with recommendations for perennials.
Here's the website: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg035. I hope you find the information helpful. Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"