Wisteria Pruning - Knowledgebase Question

Antioch, Te
Question by ESTESG
I have several wisteria vines growing on an arbor. In early spring it always puts out new growth, wild runners, that get unmanageable. If I prune these back in very early spring before bloom buds for will it hender the blooming of the plant this spring?

0

There are three types of commonly grown wisteria; Japanese (Wisteria floribunda), Chinese (Wisteria sinensis), and Silky (Wisteria venusta). Japanese and Silky wisteria bloom after the leaves expand, and Chinese wisteria blooms before the leaves expand. Depending upon which you are growing, time your pruning so you prune just after it has finished its flush of spring blooms. All summer you can prune away the wispy runners to help keep them under control. Good luck with your wisteria!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"