squirrel control - Knowledgebase Question

Mamaroneck, Ne
Question by kmacbab3
Last summer I lost all my summer squash, tomatoes and even my gourds (which I wouldn't think taste very good) to vermin. I assume squirrels because I saw one two times in the squash and the detruction only happened during the day. I do not have any rabbits in my area.
Can you help with some way to deter them. I have been gardening for 40 years and have never had this happen before.

Thanks

0

I wish there were an easy solution, but squirrels are not usually deterred by noises or other scare tactics and typically aren't bothered by deterrent solutions such as Critter Ridder. I'm afraid the only real solution is a fence - or rather a cage - for your garden. They can chew through bird netting so you may have to build a removable frame to set over your garden and cover it with chicken wire. I have several 3 foot square frames that I set over the garden to protect my most vulnerable plants. Bees can still access the flowers through the holes in the chicken wire, but the barriers keep the squirrels out. Hope this helps with your garden, too.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"