Squirrels - Knowledgebase Question

Easton, Ka
Question by akeeley
What can be done to limit the destruction of squirrels in the flowers? After feeding the birds last winter, the squirrels continued to visit our back yard during last summer and destroyed my flowers, eating some pots down to dirt. I anticipate the same this spring. Help!

0

How exasperating! I don't think there's a list of plants that squirrels won't eat, but there are a number of animal repellent sprays that might help deter them. Try 'Get Away' or 'Deer Away' (available in most garden centers). 'Deer Away' is efffective and lasts 7-10 days without washing off. Natural scent repellents such as coyote and fox urine are also available. Consider also interplanting your flowers with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or Dusty Miller. Squirrels tend not to like their aroma. You can try to scare the squirrels away from your garden by burying empty pop bottles with the tops poking up a few inches above the ground. The eerie whistle that results when the wind blows can scare them away. Sprinkling blood meal, ground hot peppers or human or dog hair around plants is also sometimes effective. I wish you the best of luck in dealing with these impossible critters!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"