When is the best time to move my roses? - Knowledgebase Question

Comer, Ge
Question by mmwallace02
I live in N E Ga. I need to move several climbing roses from my old house to my new one. When is the best time to do this and how should I go about it? Thanks!!

0

It will be less stressful to your roses if you move them while they are dormant. Start by pruning them back so they are a manageable size and then dig them carefully to avoid damaging too many roots. Expect the roots to be in the top 18-24 inches of soil. Dig a generous hole so you don't damage too many of the major roots. Knock off or hose off excess soil, wrap the roots in damp newspaper or damp burlap to keep them from drying out while being transported, and replant them as quickly as possible. They should settle into their new homes within 3-4 weeks. Best wishes with the move.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"