Agapanthus and Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Marge Carter
Del Rio, Te
Question by margetn
I have agapanthus and cannot seem to get them to prosper. Could they be in too heavy a soil or too deep?
I also have tried to start hydrangeas and have had no success. Any pointers would be appreciated.

0

It's possible your soil is too heavy. To test this theory, why not dig the plants, amend the soil with compost or other organic matter, and then replant your Agapanthus? Agapanthus is tolerant of a fairly wide range of soil pH, but something in the 6.5 to 7 range would be ideal. Use a complete fertilizer product periodically in moderate doses. I like to use a turf type fertilizer with a 3-1-2 ratio of nutrients (such as 15-5-10) at a rate of about a cup per 50 square feet of bed area, applied in spring. I'm not sure what you mean by trying to start hydrangeas. If you're taking cuttings in hopes that they will root, you may not be taking the cuttings at the right time of the year. Try semi-hardwood cuttings (stems that bend but do not snap) in mid-summer. Choose growth that has not flowered and make your cuttings 4-6 inches long. Strip away the lower leaves, dip the cut end in rooting hormone, and pot it up in moistened potting soil. Place the pot in a shady area in your garden and water when the top of the soil begins to dry out. New roots should form over the summer months and you should see new growth on the top of the plant. At that time it's mature enough to be planted directly in the ground. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"