succulents in need of help! - Knowledgebase Question

Aurora, Il
Question by vshaw1118
I have several succulents which I keep inside as house plants (I live in zone 5). One is a small jade that gets white flakes on it. Dust? Something else?? The other ones I can't find names for and am not sure how to best take care of them. One is similar to Hens & Chicks. The other two, I have no idea. (can send pic if helpful) How do you know when to repot? Should each be in a separate pot?

0

The white flakes are probably normal on your jade plant. As the leaves enlarge they shed their waxy coating which leaves little flakes on the surface of the leaves. All succulents grow best with lots of light (supplement with artificial light during the winter months if necessary) and they prefer soils on the dry side so watering when the pot feels lightweight or when the top half inch of potting soil is dry to the touch are good practices. When plant roots escape from the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot, the plants need to be repotted. They will grow happily in one large pot or you can place them in individual pots. Be sure to plant them in cactus mix so you know the soil drains quickly. Best wishes with your succulents.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"