moving an Asian Tree Peony - Knowledgebase Question

Aurora, Il
Question by vshaw1118
I have a 5 year old Asian tree peony that I need to relocate in my yard (Zone 5). The blue spruce nearby is growing faster than we thought and crowding it out. When should it be moved? How should it be moved? We don't want to lose it. Also, what kind of sun does it need? It gets afternoon sun now and flowers well. Thanks!

0

Find a spot in your garden with similar growing conditions and your peony should be happy after it has been moved. Early spring is the best and least stressful time to move your peony; or fall after frost has nipped the leaves and your plant is dormant. Dig a generous hole when moving your plant. Expect the roots to be in the top 12-18 inches of soil and extend out as far as the stems and leaves. It's okay to sever a few of the smaller feeder roots but try to keep the major roots intact when you're digging and moving your plant. Be sure to plant it at the same soil level as it was growing before and don't forget to water it well after replanting to help settle the soil. I'm sure your peony will recover quickly after the move.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"