Orchids & mealy bugs - Knowledgebase Question

Williamsburg, Vi
Question by mjohns42
I was building an indoor garden of Phalaenopolis purchased last summer but have lost 4 to mealy bugs. They kept coming back after the alcholol removal with q-tips so I used Dragon House Plant insect control systemic granuals & they still are coming back! Help!!!

0

I wish there were an easy solution but mealybugs can crawl, fly, and reproduce at alarming rates. They can also hide in pots, wood slats on greenhouse benches, tools, and just about any other place you can imagine. A systemic will kill the insects that have attached themselves to the stems and leaves of your plants but it won't kill those waiting in the wings to attack your plants so continued use will be necessary. You might consider using Neem oil or lightweight horticultural oil on all areas and surfaces near your orchids. These products will kill any eggs or insects hiding in cracks and crevices. I think eventually you can get the upper hand but persistence is the name of the game. Best wishes with your orchids.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"