Crepe Myrthe Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Stuart, Fl
Question by bandsmccabe
My crepe myrtle tree's leaves come out and curled at ends and reddish brown looking rather than green & healthy & blooms not as full as they should be. What can I do?

0

Without the opportunity to inspect the tree and its leaves, it's difficult to make an accurate diagnosis. However, the leaf distortion you describe sound very much like a fungal disease. You didn't mention whether or not you prune your tree in late winter or early spring - pruning might also affect the new growth. I'd inspect the tree for signs of disease. Look for tiny black spots, fuzzy areas, etc. If you find any, you might want to spray with a neem oil based fungicide. If you find colonies of insects such as aphids, the neem oil will control them as well. If you find nothing physical on the branches or leaves, your best bet is to take a sample of the curled leaves and part of a branch to your local cooperative extension office for complete diagnosis. Master Gardeners or other helpful staff can suggest control options. Good luck with your crape myrtle.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"