Cymbidium - Knowledgebase Question

Port Charlotte, Fl
Question by dbfivefamily
I live in SW Florida and have a nice size orchid collection. However, I was given a Cymbidium and I need to know how if it's care is similar to dendrobs and phaels. I would love to keep it alive to see it bloom again!

0

The care of Cymbidium orchids is about the same as for other orchids. Here are a few general rules for growing healthy orchids: Orchids need ample humidity, so put the pot on a pebble-filled tray and keep water in it. Also keep the soil moist. When watering, use tepid, not cold water. Mist the leaves occasionally. Orchids need 10-15 hours of bright light each day, but keep them out of direct sunlight. They prefer daytime temperatures of about 70F in summer and 60F in winter, with a 10 degree drop at night. Keep them out of cold drafts, feed them during the summer months with a low nitrogen fertilizer, and let them become pot-bound (they flower more freely when their toes are pinched). Your orchid can spend the summer outdoors, but should remain indoors when temperatures fall below 60F. Cymbidiums are terrestrial orchids, and require a fast draining growing media. They should be planted in prepackaged cymbidium mix, or you can make your own potting soil by mixing together 2 parts redwood bark or sawdust, 2 parts peat moss, and 1 part sand. This recipe will provide a fast-draining yet moisture retentive soil for your plant. Cymbidiums should be fed every 10 days during the growing season with a complete liquid fertilizer that's high in nitrogen. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"