winter for tropical hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Manchester, Ne
Question by simbo
I have two potted, tropical hibiscus plants. I live in New Hampshire, so I keep them on the deck in the warm weather and inside when it gets below 50 degrees. What kind of environment do they need, during the winter? In March (inside), they produced small blooms with virtually no leaves. They also bloomed in the late summer(outside),but the flowers are never as big as when I bought it.

0

Your hibiscus sounds like it's not getting enough light while indoors and is slow to recover when placed outside. Try using supplemental lighting during the winter months. You can use Gro-Lites or simply a bank of fluorescent lights (such as hooded shop lights) to provide much needed light to your hibiscus. Leave the lights on 14-16 hours per day and you should see improvement in leaf growth and in flower production. Best wishes with your hibiscus.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"