Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Hamilton, Te
Question by rlsloane
If this goes through twice I apologise.I need to know if the potted hibiscus plant I have can be planted,trimmed and covered in the winter.Mine are very beautiful and have bloomed all winter in my house. I live in central texas.Do not know if they are hardy or not

0

Tropical hibiscus has glossy green leaves; hardy hibiscus has dull green leaves. Hardy hibiscus can be planted outdoors. If it freezes down to ground level each winter it will sprout new branches in the spring. Tropical hibiscus will grow outdoors if the winter temperatures remain above freezing. If your garden regularly gets frost during the winter months your plants will be better off indoors over the winter. If you plant tropical hibiscus outdoors and cover it during cold spells it will still suffer damage so I won't recommend you try that. You can prune or trim your hibiscus back in the springtime. It will respond with lots of new growth and lots of flowers. Best wishes with your hibiscus.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"