Uneven, soft yard - Knowledgebase Question

Altamonte Springs, Fl
Question by dutcher3
My back yard has gotten very uneven and soft. I don't see any mounds caused by animals. And the plants have not been dug up. I don't know where to start to fix this.

0

I'd level it out over the spring and summer season. Probably the least expensive solution is to spread top soil over the low spots to help level the yard. You can spread it right over any grass that is growing in these areas. The grass will eventually grow through the topsoil. If you want it to green up sooner you can broadcast grass seeds over the top soil. I've tackled a similar project and it isn't too difficult except for hauling the top soil (I used a wheelbarrow). I used a shovel to drop soil over the low spots, raked it around and then checked the level by dragging a 6' 2"X4" over the lawn. When I was satisfied I had filled in all the holes and ruts, I reseeded, sprinkled a thin layer of peat moss over the reseeded areas to help keep the grass seeds moist. Grass will sprout in 7-10 days if kept from drying out. In 4-6 weeks your lawn should look great. Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"