FERTILIZE - Knowledgebase Question

N. MASSAPEQUA, Ne
Question by CIDWAL
WE ARE IN N. MASSAPEQUA, NY.
I START TO THROW 4/10/5 FERTILIZER DOWN IN MY FLOWER AND GROUND COVER BEDS AS SOON AS HOME DEPOT GETS IT IN (MARCH). THAN AGAIN IN MAY & JUNE.
IS MARCH TO EARLY AND THE FERTILIZER WILL BE ABSORBED IN THE SOIL AND LOST OR WILL IT GO DOWN TO THE ROOTS AND I AM DOING A GOOD THING?
THANKS
CHARLES ROBERTS

0

The fertilizer you're using is considered a bloom booster because it's low in nitrogen and potassium but high in phosphorous, the nutrient that encourages flowering. In general, fertilizer should be applied to plants that are actively growing. They will use the nutrients when they begin their spring growth spurt; repeat applications during the growing season will boost their productivity. I don't think April is too early to apply fertilizer. Although you may not see lots of top growth at that time, the roots of your plants will be busy growing at that time, collecting and storing energy for their spring growth. Sounds to me as though you're doing the right thing. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"