Korean Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Long Beach, Ca
Question by pepassport
I have a small area of Korean Grass which is never completely green it always has ugly brown patches. How can I improve look or how to get rid of it?

0

Korean Grass, also known as Korean Velvet Grass, is actually Zoysia tenuifolia. It is a very fine textured species, but is the least cold tolerant of all the Zoysia species. Zoysia tenuifolia is native to the Far East and was introduced in the U.S. from the Mascarene Islands. In the U.S. it is used in southern California as a low growing ground cover. I suspect your coastal climate is not quite warm enough for your Zoysia and it spends most of its time in a state of dormancy. There's not much you can do to make it green up if the weather is too cool for it so you might consider digging it out, roots and all, and replacing it with a different turf or with a low growing ground cover such as creeping thyme or ajuga.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"