Hanging Baskets?? - Knowledgebase Question

Midwest City, Ok
Question by copemichael
I always put moisture control potting mix in with my soil for my baskets,they still dry out so fast in these Oklahoma winds,what is the best way to water and make last, my plants in these baskets. They hang on front porch(west sun) and patio( noonday sun), thaanks, Michael Cope

1

Wish there were an easy solution. Hanging baskets have very little reserve when it comes to holding moisture. The same plants in the ground will go days between waterings but in a basket can often require twice a day watering during the hot summer weather. You can try a self-watering pot (it has a reservor to hold extra water) or you might try upending a water bottle and sinking the neck into the soil. Wicking action will draw the water out of the bottle as the soil dries out. Of course you'll need to refil the bottle when it drains dry. If your plants are tall enough they will hide the water bottle. Hope one of these methods brings the desired results. Best wishes with your hanging baskets.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"