sand in yard - Knowledgebase Question

Metairie, Lo
Question by hkmom1
Why do people put sand in their yard? My yard is uneven. Would this help it out? Do I need to replace the sand in the yard every year? Thanks.

0

A layer of sand can help even out a lumpy yard but it shouldn't require an annual application. If your yard is very uneven, probably the least expensive solution is to spread top soil over the low spots to help level the yard. You can spread it right over any grass that is growing in these areas. The grass will eventually grow through the topsoil. If you want it to green up sooner you can broadcast grass seeds over the top soil. I've tackled a similar project and it isn't too difficult except for hauling the top soil (I used a wheelbarrow). I used a shovel to drop soil over the low spots, raked it around and then checked the level by dragging a 6' 2"X4" over the lawn. When I was satisfied I had filled in all the holes and ruts, I reseeded, sprinkled a thin layer of peat moss over the reseeded areas to help keep the grass seeds moist. Grass will sprout in 7-10 days if kept from drying out. In 4-6 weeks your lawn should look great. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"