Pest control - Knowledgebase Question

Henderson, Ne
Question by ladyrk
Moved to new state, what kind of pests do I need to spray for in Nv and how often? Have bubblers on shrubs how often to water? Yard is all rock

0

I don't think you'll find any exotic insect pests in Nevada. As with most plants, aphids are a problem on lush new growth so be on the lookout for them. I just hose them off the plants with a strong stream of water from the hose but you could also spray them with insecticidal soap. As for watering, we'd all prefer an exact formula for watering plants, but unfortunately, that's not the best way for the long-term health of your plants. There are numerous variables involved, such as type of soil, how fast or slow it drains, sun and wind exposure at your site, temperature, age and condition of the plants and much more. It's important to learn the specific needs of your landscape, both for its health and your water bill. Use the information below to determine how moist the soil is before automatically applying more water. Use a soil probe (any long, pointed piece of metal or wood to poke into the soil) to check how far water has penetrated. The probe moves easily through moist soil, but stops when it hits hard dry soil. The following depths are a guideline for how deep water should reach: Shrubs 2-3 feet: Vegetables, flowers, herbs 1 - 1 1/2 feet: Succulents 1-2 inches The following frequencies are guidelines only for the summer months when temperatures are in the 90s and winds are drying. Shrubs, (1st year) once a week: Shrubs, 2 years every 10 days: Shrubs, 3+ years every 2 weeks : Vegetables, flowers every 3-4 days: Herbs once a week: Succulents twice a month . One-gallon size or newly transplanted shrubs may need twice a week, every other day or every day. It's important to water slowly, deeply, and infrequently so that salts in the water don't accumulate around the roots of the plants and water seeps out to where the new roots are growing. I suggest that you set your timer from 1-3 hours--you'll need to check how deep the water penetrates for an accurate setting. I hope this information helps you. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"