Chinese Windmill Palm - Knowledgebase Question

Smyrna, Ge
Question by wickic
I presently have 2 large crape myrtles getting out of control. Could these be replaced with Chinese Windmill Palms in my area (Atlanta,GA) and expect to do well?

0

I think you'll have success with Chinese Windmill palms. The Chinese windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) is a cold-hardy tree that grows as far north as North Carolina and is able to withstand temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. It is native to tropical areas in Asia and is popular for landscaping purposes in the southeastern United States. It grows as high as 40 feet, and its stem spans 8 to 10 inches across. Its light- to dark-green leaves have a silver tint on the bottom. The Chinese windmill palm prefers fertile soil that is well irrigated but will survive in nearly any area that is not continually waterlogged. The palm is highly tolerant of drought and grows best in areas with partial afternoon shade.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"