When is the best time to separate amaryllis bulbs? - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
Several years ago I planted an amaryllis bulb in a pot and it has reproduced so now there are 5 good size bulbs. The pot is too small now and I was wondering when is the best time to separate them. Can I do it now before spring or should I wait for the fall. They currently have no foliage but I see about half an inch of foliage coming out. Thanks

0

Now is a good time to separate your amaryllis. Since they are just beginning to show new growth they will be happy to be planted in individual containers so they have lots of room for root growth. I suspect that the roots are entangled so when you remove the pot try swishing the roots in a bucket or sink full of water to help separate the roots. You can ease them apart with a little patience. Once they are separated you can pot them up in fresh potting soil. Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"