Lots of shade, little grass, less money - Knowledgebase Question

Memphis, Te
Question by brownsu4
My yard has several trees that seem to suck up all of the nutrients in my yard and produce a great deal of shade. I have very little grass and don't have the money to till up the yard and sod. Would planting types of monkey grass or liriope in bulk be an option that's not too costly?

0

As you've discovered, turfgrass doesn't grow well in the shade. And, you're right, a low growing groundcover is a better choice for a shady area beneath trees. Liriope is an excellent plant for the area and if you purchase a flat you can carefully divide the plants so they'll cover a large area. Each little liriope grows into a small clump. If you remove a single clump you can divide it into 3-4 pieces by cutting through from top through the bottom roots. As long as each division has both foliage and roots attached, it will grow into a nice sized clump. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"