Small lilac tree - Knowledgebase Question

Overland Park, Ka
Question by wheatjo
I would like to dig this tree up and transplant it to a better location. How and when should I do this? Would it grow well in a partly shaded area? Thanks.

0

Tree Lilac, Syringa reticulata, is a summer bloomer and needs full sunshine for best flowering. If possible, find a spot in your landscape with full sunshine. You can move your tree lilac now. Expect the roots to be concentrated in the top 12-18 inches of soil and spread out as far as the longest branches. It's okay to sever some of the feeder roots but try to keep the major roots and rootmass intact as you dig. Set it in the new hole so it will be at the same soil level as it was growing before. Water it well after planting to help settle the soil. Good luck with the move!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"