Gardenias - Knowledgebase Question

pittsburg, Ca
Question by marthaaceves
I tried planting two gardenias in my backyard two years ago. they bloomed nicely while in the pot. Once i pu them in the ground it the flower would die before it got a chance to open. I love these plants and want to know how to plant and care for them. Please Help.

0

Growing healthy gardenia plants can be a challenge, even for seasoned gardeners. You're lucky, though, because your mild weather makes it possible to grow gardenia's outdoors. Many gardeners must winter them over indoors. Gardenias require a rich, very acid soil (pH 4.5 to 5.0). An abundance of moisture and high humidity are the most important factors in successful gardenia culture. Unfortunately, gardenia is often a disappointment to gardeners because it can be very, very demanding. For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature is required or buds will drop. Bright light is essential, but avoid direct mid-day sun in the summer. Best of luck with your gardenia!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"