clematis - Knowledgebase Question

allison park, Pe
Question by carolg08
I ordered a clematis vine but I'm not sure where to plant it. I was going to plant it on the left side of my yard because there's a trellis there. But that area gets 5-6 hours of summer sun. The other side of my lawn gets partial shade but there are tree roots to contend with. Can a clematis climb a tree and deal with its roots? Thanks, Carol

0

Clematis can and will climb a tree. While the clematis will be happy, the tree might suffer damage. This is because the clematis can hold too much moisture against the tree trunk and cause rot. The vines may be strong enough to surround and girdle the tree. I'd plant the clematis away from trees and give it its own trellis. Clematis likes cool feet and its head in the sunshine. Plant yours near your trellis. Enjoy your garden.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"