bare spots in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by mitchmoore59
I live in the Charlotte NC area. I had my lawn aerated and seeded last fall. I still have some serious bare spots and was wondering how to approach this. Would it be beneficial to aerate again this spring and seed or would it be a waste of time? If aerating isn?t a good idea, what other solutions could you suggest? Thanks!

0

I'm not sure what the underlying cause of the brown spots might be. Aerating is an important part of lawn maintenance because soil becomes compacted with foot traffic and with rainfall but once every 3-4 years should be enough to loosen the soil. I generally spread a thin layer of compost over the lawn after aerating and then broadcast seeds. The compost works its way into the holes left by aeration and while it's doing that it provides a nice medium for the grass to root. The bare spots could indicate standing water in the winter time, or they may even be dog spots. Rather than aerate and seed again, I'd just rake the dead spots, spread some compost over the areas and rake it in, then overseed just those areas. I think you'll end up with an evenly green lawn without bare spots. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"