ornamental pear tree - Knowledgebase Question

ponchatoula, Lo
Question by toniat8
i bought an ornamental pear tree and it didnt look good when i potted it. but to my surprise, it bloomed a flower or two. so i planted it in the ground not quite a year ago and since then all the leaves have fallen off and there has been no sign of new growth. how do i tell if its really dead or should i give it more time to adjust?

0

I think I'd give it a few months of warm weather to settle in before giving up on the tree. If it was unhealthy/stressed when you planted it, you'll have to expect it to take several months to adjust to its new home and to put out leaves. If you planted it in the winter or the fall, it probably took a few months off to rest. Now that the weather is warming up you should see some signs of life. If you see nothing by the first of May, I seriously consider replacing it with a healthier specimen. Let's hope for the best!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"