When to start watermelon seeds indoors? - Knowledgebase Question

Watertown, Co
Question by holycrosskid
I live in the Northeast, Connecticut to be more precise, and I've tried for about 2 years to grow watermelons with no success. I do not want to grow sugar baby watermelons, I want the really big ones! So when should I start them indoors? I have a small greenhouse that I can start seeds in but last year the plants got all moldy; how do I prevent that also?

0

Your average last frost arrives somewhere between mid to late May so you should plan on transplanting watermelon seedlings outdoors about the first of June. That's when the soil and air temperatures will be warm enough to support a heat loving plant like a watermelon. You can start your seeds indoors six to eight weeks prior to your last frost date. Your summer isn't really long enough to support giant watermelon productions, but you should have success with personal sized or baby watermelons. I'd start the seeds indoors about the first of April. If your seedlings and plants are getting moldy in your greenhouse, the temperature might be too cold = or the air circulation needs to be improved. Try to keep the air and soil temperatures about 70 degrees when you're growing seedlings and train an oscillating fan on the seedlings to make sure the air moves constantly. Best wishes with your watermelons.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"